Friday, August 27, 2010

Birthing Our Legends: A Sit Down with Mia X: The Mother of New Orleans Hip Hop


New Orleans’ native Mia X “Mama Mia” is best known to the world as the former First Lady of No Limit Records. In New Orleans, Mia X is a LEGEND! Mama Mia broke onto the scene with a flow unlike any of her female predecessors or her followers for that matter. Through the years, Mia has stayed true to herself and has become a master of her craft. I was privileged enough to catch up with Mama Mia and find out just what she’s been up to and what she has in store for her fans.


What is your take on the current state of Hip Hop? The presence of female emcees?
M: We should never pigeon hole hip hop into one style or vibe. Conscious, Gangsta, Nasty, Gimmicky Rap is all necessary. We have something for everyone and the beauty of it all is consumers have the option to buy what they like or ignore what they don't. I support female Emcees unconditionally. I like to see more of us with our own labels so that we have more control on how we're being represented.
How’d you get the nickname “Mama”? And what makes you so “Unladylike”?
M: Grown-ups have said I have an old soul since the 70s my friends always appointed me the go-to person for advice I've been called Mama Mia since Jr. high. My flow is unladylike, sometimes my subject matter is; you couldn't box me in as just another girl rapper I have a large male fanbase who support me for what I say not how I look.
During your time away from the scene, tell us what you were up to? What projects do you have in the works?
M: I was raising my now adult kids and being supportive of my sister who was in medical school. I'm proud to say she's a doctor I was writing music for people and living a normal life. I have a cookbook coming out about my life and times with my grandmother its gangsta and filled with many of our tasty family recipes. I'm about to release ‘UNLADYLIKEFOREVER’ the mixtape, where I have features from veterans as well as new skool female Emcees on it. I'm doing a joint cd with the legendary Scarface called ‘Malory and Micky’ and I'm working on my solo project ‘Betty Rocka Locksmith’.
If you hadn’t become an emcee, what career path would you have taken?
M: I decided I was going to be an Emcee in 1980 I never changed my mind I also wanted a juke joint that sold great food got that to so I have no regrets on choosing and sticking with hip hop as a career.
Who is/was the most influential person in your life?
M: my MawMaw had the biggest influence on my life
It’s becoming common knowledge that you can throw down in the kitchen, tell us about your restaurant True Friends.
M: I've been cooking since I was 9 cooking is a passion its’ in my blood. I feel blessed to have a spot in my community the 7th ward the restaurant is like an extended family hangout music food conversations it’s a blessing.

***True Friends Restaurant 1300 Saint Bernard Avenue New Orleans, LA 70116***
You were very vocal about the recent Deepwater Horizon BP Oil Spill, was your business affected in any way?
M: The price of seafood went up and tourists have to be reassured about the quality of the seafood; many worry about the oil and chemicals. In the beginning you had to almost pinky swear that you were stocked prior to the spill. My concern was for the fishermen, like my grandfather who fed, clothed the house and educated their families, this is their livelihood. They have been disrespected, marine life died, livestock died & water contaminated I'm pissed.
What advice do you have for up and coming female artists/emcees?
M: Ladies LEARN this business if you don't like to read this is not the job for you! This is a multibillion dollar business, not the catwalk. Write all your rhymes and don't just jump out there; make sure that you are comfortable with the way you brand yourself because that's the label you will be stuck with. Sylvia Robinson was the CEO of Sugarhill Records in the 1970s we are so much more than sex objects and posters.
How can fans contact you? Submissions for artists & producers?
Thank you again Mia X for taking the time to speak with Sounds of the Underground. This is truly an honor and a pleasure. I know your fans will certainly appreciate hearing what you’re up to. Please keep us in the loop with all of your future endeavors. Much love!

1 comment:

  1. Good piece! Big ups to Mia, she's been a long time friend & associate. Her flow is crazy but here speaking presence is larger than life! She could millions on a speaking tour for underprivileged folks or self esteem for woman or even community rights! Thanx Mia for simply being Mia....

    ReplyDelete

The Hut Studios NOLA


Electronic Press KitQuantcast